Position handles a variety of marketing and advertising duties within the ECSC marketing department. Priorities include managing the DMO’s cooperative advertising program, handling day-to-day communications with agency partners, implementing email marketing program and handling a variety of website updates and functions.
- Manage cooperative advertising program for preferred hotel partners and attractions/events partners, to include tracking expenditures, managing invoices and partner budgets, meeting with and presenting tailored proposals to partners and coordinating with agency representative for program support.
- Research and gather information on potential paid space advertising opportunities for the DMO, Convention Center and ECSC Sports. Obtain, organize and present information to VP of Marketing & Communications and Director of Marketing from both proactive research and incoming calls from advertising reps and publications. Use information to organize content for cooperative advertising guide.
- Manage deadlines for ECSC advertising creative due and submit work orders for creative to agency partner or in-house designer.
- Organize invoices for ECSC advertising and submit for payment and approvals.
- Communicate with designated agency representative(s) on a continuous basis to facilitate details of ad campaigns, web design, and special projects, including compiling feedback from team members and supervisors.
- Update database through CRM, website listings and content through CMS (content management system), including formatting photos and logos for website and mobile site. Create new content as needed.
- Assist with planning and coordination of marketing promotions and projects. Assist Director of Marketing and Content Specialist with photography needs and requests, including scheduling staff headshots, attending photo shoots, updating digital photo library, and identifying photography for specific projects and partners.
- Assist Director of Marketing in maintaining strong web presence by creating content through blogs and copywriting as directed.
- Implement e-newsletter program for Convention Center and ECSC leisure travel including developing content, segmenting lists, and coordinating with relevant staff members and agencies.
- Assists Director of Marketing with implementation of website updates and changes for ECSC site, ECSC Sports site and Convention Center site that can be made in-house, and act as liaison with developer(s) or agencies for deeper issues requiring vendor attention.
- Work collaboratively with team members on signature, rotating, or one-time events and conferences (ex: Total Solar Eclipse Weekend, NCAA Regionals, Clemson/Carolina Neutral Site Game, Governor’s Conference) as well as annual events such as Governor’s Carolighting.
- Support local marketing and brand activation through event coordination and presence at events (ex: SC Pride, Love, Peach & Hip-Hop, etc.)
- Run errands related to the coordination of marketing/communications projects.
- Assist staff with reporting, research, and data entry.
- Organize files both electronic and manual.
- Foster and maintain relationships with partners through communication, networking events, one-on-one meetings and sharing ECSC marketing wins and coverage.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things; able to interact with the public at all levels.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Successful candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree and experience in marketing, communications, business, hospitality management, tourism management, journalism or related field.
- Knowledge of social media strategy, advertising process, and website management is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Must have a passion for promoting the attributes of the Columbia area.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required and the responsibilities of the position may change.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Experience Columbia SC
As the DMO for the region, we want the whole world to know what makes Columbia SC so great. Think of us as the biggest cheerleader for the heart of South Carolina. We educate potential visitors about the region year-round with paid and earned media. We help strengthen the region’s economy by bringing millions of visitors annually. Our unified vision and strong identity stokes our shared sense of possibility and fosters pride among locals.
Experience Columbia SC (also known as Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism) was organized as the Midlands Regional Convention Center Authority, a South Carolina nonprofit corporation as of July 5, 2001. To better define the overall purpose and mission of the Authority the official name was changed effective September 12, 2003.
The mission of the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports and Tourism includes:
- Directing and managing the activities and mission of the Columbia Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Overseeing the development and operation of the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center under a long-term management agreement for the benefit of the Governmental Entities: City of Columbia, Lexington County and Richland County.
- Directing and managing the activities and mission of the Columbia Regional Sports Council.
- Directing and managing the operation of the Columbia Regional Visitors Center.
On August 24, 2001, the Authority became the Supervising Member for the Columbia Metropolitan Convention & Visitors Bureau and on May 14, 2002, the Columbia Regional Sports Council became a partner in the regional marketing efforts. On September 12, 2003, the Authority's name was changed to better reflect its responsibilities to the community.
The Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism consists of nine members; five representing the City of Columbia, two representing Lexington County and two representing Richland County.
Authority Board Members are represented by: Lexington County, City of Columbia and Richland County.
The President and Chief Executive Officer of the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism will oversee the operation and management of all responsibilities delegated to the Authority. The current President & CEO is Bill Ellen.
Experience Columbia SC is committed to the principles of equal employment. It is our intent to maintain a work environment that is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation, because of age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. Experience Columbia SC is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regards to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.
Company Website: www.experiencecolumbiasc.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)