I. Position Summary:
The Engineering Assistant is to provide assistance to the Director of Engineering in order to maintain the Convention Center’s systems such as the HVAC, electrical, lighting, data, phone, sound equipment, and plumbing. The Engineering Assistant will also make repairs to any damage on the doors, walls and floors in the Center. The Engineering Department will supply individuals using the facility with utility services and will connect electrical equipment when needed.
II. Essential Functions/Responsibilities:
- Responsible for painting, sheet rock and instillation.
- Responsible for repair or replacement of door locks, door frames and door hardware.
- Responsible for completing assigned general maintenance tasks to include, but not limited to HVAC, electrical, lighting, data, phone, sound equipment and plumbing.
- Responsible for assisting and maintaining maintenance records on Center equipment.
- Responsible for assisting with performing a maintenance program inspection on all equipment.
- Responsible for providing meeting managers and exhibitors with utility services.
- Responsible for the repair of the building and grounds.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work schedule shifts based on department needs.
- Must be computer literate.
- Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and manuals, blueprints and be able to calculate figures and take measurements.
- Good communication skills are required.
- Must be able to problem solve and have the ability to develop and recommend solutions.
- Must be able to interact with people from various backgrounds.
IV.Education and Qualification Required:
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of general maintenance experience.
- Must be able to perform duties to include: painting and sheet rock instillation, repair or replace door locks, door frames and door hardware.
- Must have a valid SC Driver’s License.
- Must be proficient in multiple areas of maintenance to include, but not limited to HVAC, electrical, lighting, data, phone, sound and plumbing.
- Must be willing to work Wednesday-Sunday from 2:30P-11:00P. Shift time may vary due to event scheduling within the building.
- Previous facility maintenance experience preferred. Any trades certifications a plus. Must have remodeling experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required and the responsibilities of the position may change.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Experience Columbia SC
As the DMO for the region, we want the whole world to know what makes Columbia SC so great. Think of us as the biggest cheerleader for the heart of South Carolina. We educate potential visitors about the region year-round with paid and earned media. We help strengthen the region’s economy by bringing millions of visitors annually. Our unified vision and strong identity stokes our shared sense of possibility and fosters pride among locals.
Experience Columbia SC (also known as Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism) was organized as the Midlands Regional Convention Center Authority, a South Carolina nonprofit corporation as of July 5, 2001. To better define the overall purpose and mission of the Authority the official name was changed effective September 12, 2003.
The mission of the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports and Tourism includes:
- Directing and managing the activities and mission of the Columbia Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Overseeing the development and operation of the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center under a long-term management agreement for the benefit of the Governmental Entities: City of Columbia, Lexington County and Richland County.
- Directing and managing the activities and mission of the Columbia Regional Sports Council.
- Directing and managing the operation of the Columbia Regional Visitors Center.
On August 24, 2001, the Authority became the Supervising Member for the Columbia Metropolitan Convention & Visitors Bureau and on May 14, 2002, the Columbia Regional Sports Council became a partner in the regional marketing efforts. On September 12, 2003, the Authority's name was changed to better reflect its responsibilities to the community.
The Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism consists of nine members; five representing the City of Columbia, two representing Lexington County and two representing Richland County.
Authority Board Members are represented by: Lexington County, City of Columbia and Richland County.
The President and Chief Executive Officer of the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism will oversee the operation and management of all responsibilities delegated to the Authority. The current President & CEO is Bill Ellen.
Experience Columbia SC is committed to the principles of equal employment. It is our intent to maintain a work environment that is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation, because of age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. Experience Columbia SC is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regards to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.
Company Website: www.experiencecolumbiasc.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)